Belly Binding for Postnatal recovery
“Belly Binding is really good. Back ache minimal, loving it!” – New mum Kim from Leeds, December 2015
What is it?
Belly Binding is a traditional practice that has been used by women for centuries to support the abdomen and womb after childbirth. Cloth is wrapped around the belly, providing a constant gentle hug that is both comforting and supportive.
Why do it?
Wrapping the belly is an effective and very important part of a women’s postnatal recovery process.
- Helps organs to “shrink” and the muscle tissue to knit back together to their pre-pregnancy size and position
- Supports the healing and realignment of the womb and abdominal wall muscles, particularly beneficial if you have diastasis recti
- Shortens the recovery period
- Supports overall posture by stabilising loosened ligaments and aligning the womb, back and spine
- Fabulous support for caesarean section recovery
- Decreases postpartum bleeding time by speeding up the waste removal process from the body
- Encourages expanded rib cage and hips back into their previous shape
How is it done?
I use two methods:
- Quick fix method: For people short of time, I use a Faja plain cloth wrap – a good, supportive, useful wrap that can be done quickly and easily.
- The Benkung method: I use a longer strip of cloth around the abdomen and womb. It is more supportive to the organs and extends from the hips to just below the chest.
When can you wrap?
- Vaginal birth: a few days post birth
- C-section: wait at least a week, possibly more depending on how well you are healing
Where do I get a wrap?
I do not supply the wraps. You can buy your own from this recommended retailer (https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/wysewomen)
Or simply let me know when you book your session and I can recommend a wrap supplier. You will need to get it ahead of your appointment.
What happens at the appointment?
Appointments can be done in person or via Skype. During the appointment I will give you full tuition on how to use the wrap and I’ll explain the benefit. You are free to ask any questions you may have.
For a really nurturing experience you can also combine your Belly Binding appointment with some Postnatal Mizan Abdominal Massage, which is extremely beneficial in assisting the internal organs to return gently back to where they ought to be.
- Available in packages of three or six Massage treatments
- Guides the uterus back to optimal position
- For c-section births, it breaks down scar tissue and reduces the chance of adhesion to other internal organs
- Postnatal Mizan Massage is usually safe to have before your 6-week check, although for caesarean births it should not be done until after.
But with all this talk of slimming hips let’s remember, ladies: “The curve is more dangerous than the sword.” – Mae West.