“If a Doula were a drug it would be unethical not to use it.” – John H Kennell MD
“I’m so proud of how we all worked as a team to reach such a beautiful awe inspiring moment. I’m also so happy that we received the amazing emotional and practical support from our Doula, and invested in this for our birth. Words cannot express the gratitude felt towards Lara for her help and kindness. We had the birth we wanted, and we felt so incredibly lucky and blessed.” – Orla Leeds September 2015, following the home birth of her first child
What is it:
“Doula” (pronounced “doola”) is a Greek word meaning “woman servant or caregiver”. A Doula is a woman who offers emotional and practical support to a woman and her family during pregnancy, birth and beyond into motherhood. Put simply, Doula support is whatever you need it to be for you. It’s not a one size fits all.
According to research done by Childbirth.org, the beneficial impact Doula support can have is:
- 50% reduction in the cesarean rate
- 25% shorter labour
- 60% reduction in epidural requests
- 40% reduction in oxytocin use
- 30% reduction in analgesia use
- 40% reduction in forceps delivery
What being a Birth Doula means to me
- I see my role as being one of support and nurture
- I recognise that birth is a key life experience, one that you will remember forever
- I help you and your birth partner in preparing for and implementing your birth preferences
- I establish clarity between you, your birth partner and your health care providers
- I nurture and protect your birth space and your birth experience
- I provide continuous emotional support throughout your labour, ensuring I am present to your needs and mindful of your physical comfort being maintained
- I am a hive of information and can signpost you to any relevant resources needed to help you make informed choices about your chosen maternity needs
The allwoman Birth Support Package includes:
- Two antenatal birth preparation sessions
- discuss your ideal birth and birth preferences
- information and advice
- relaxation practices
- On call for you for a period of four weeks (two weeks before and two weeks after your estimated due date)
- Continuous support during the labour & birth however long that may take
- One postnatal visit which includes a debrief of your labour and birth
- Additional postnatal care is also available to support your transition into motherhood. This would involve additional cost
- Unlimited support via phone and e-mail during your pregnancy and postnatally. Standard support runs for 6 weeks after the birth of your baby. Additional support or postnatal care can be provided on request
- Loan of a birth pool (liner to be purchased by you)
- Loan of any books or other resources you may find useful (from my extensive library)
- As an experienced Yoga Teacher, I can also offer extra services to compliment the standard Doula package.
You may want to consider adding any of the optional services listed below to your Doula package. Yoga sessions last an hour, Mizan Massage lasts 1 hour 15 minutes.
If you purchase five additional sessions you will receive a complimentary Mizan Massage treatment in your overall package. These sessions can be taken at any time from second trimester onwards:
- Pregnancy Yoga one to one tailored to your specific needs
- Mizan Abdominal Massage treatment (from second trimester)
- Rebozo workshop
- Birth preparations session for you and your partner (this is a three hour workshop and counts as three sessions)
- Restorative Yoga and relaxation one to one session
- Overdue support session – if baby decides to come late
- Special positioning workshop: Psoas release work and creation of a movement practice to optimise baby’s position that can be started from around 30 weeks
- Pregnancy Mizan Massage
I can also offer additional services after the birth of baby.
- Belly Binding support postnatally
- Postnatal Yoga to support healing, focusing on realignment, core and pelvic floor support and gentle rehabilitation
- Postnatal Mizan Abdominal Therapy Massage
If you think I might be the Doula for you and would like to find out more about the services I offer and the rates I charge, then do get in touch and we can arrange a meet up for an informal chat.
For more information on what a Doula is or does? Click here for some useful evidence based info.
Kim Birth story
“My advice is get a Doula (Lara’s obviously the best), do Pregnancy Yoga, get rid of any fear and breathe.
I had no pain relief just homeopathy. Previously I had every intervention going and just avoided a c-section. This time I had the natural home birth I dreamed of.
Having Lara prepare me with one to one Yoga sessions and Mizan Abdominal Massage helped me physically avoid discomfort and pain but emotionally allowed me to get rid of all fear!! Not a useful emotion when you need lots of oxytocin.
No pelvic pain and previously I had suffered from severe pelvic girdle pain from 37 weeks.”